Thursday, August 24, 2006

Robert Patierno



Here is my assignment. I am not even sure the title of this print, but I know who it is by. This is a woodcut print from one of my professors in college, Robert Patierno, or much more commonly known as Bob. I just saw him this week, exhibiting at the Mt. Gretna art show. He left his position at my school the year after I graduated, so we both left at the same time, and we both agreed that it feels like a lifetime ago. Four years in reality. Bob was the kind of professor that was more than a teacher, he was a mentor and a model. He taught us how to paint, how to make woodcuts and etchings, how to draw, how to live artists, how to think and judge and work like one. He was not easily impressed, especially not by fancy artist statements or complicated explanations of some sort of emotion that we were trying to express. So when he praised work that we did it meant a lot. It meant it was good work. We had dug in our elbows and made a beautiful, real image.
Bob Patierno has one of the most melancholic personas I have ever known. Not many comments were made without a sad sort of cynicism, but he said amazing things that have stayed with me. He once said artists are just like little kids. We make something we are proud of and we want to go hang it on the refrigerator and have some one say, "Good job, honey, that is so pretty." And there were his Christmas cards. He would carve a woodcut self portrait, facing dead-head on, unshaven and staring with dark bags under his eyes. What did the card say? JOY
He was intimidating at first, but underneath the words he said, he betrayed a gentleness, and we knew that he cared about us. And he loves making art. It is in his blood. Maybe it is the kerosene and oils and pigments that sank into his blood over years and years of work, but I don't think he could stop if he tried.
It is not hard to see how my work is a direct descendent of his either. Check out this one. I only wish I would have painted it first.

3 comments:

troy. said...

So I guess I should say thanks (or something). I'm not too keen on the fact that you called this an "assignment" (it was more like a creative spur-in-the-side), but since you did, I'll grade ya: A+ You took my request and improved on it.

Now to the content (i.e. the important stuff) of your post:

He was not easily impressed, especially not by fancy artist statements or complicated explanations of some sort of emotion that we were trying to express.

True words of wisdom. You're either a writer or a painter. If your writing says more than your painting, you better work on your painting.

And I love that second piece!

As always, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Joanna,
Again, a beautiful post. Mr Patierno would be honored and gratified to read about the influence he played in your life, in your work and in your outlook. I never knew your painting style was so influenced by his until you pointed it out and I looked at the gallery on his website you linked to. But I'm afraid I still like some of yours better than his, except for the landscapes and tree pictures. And I still love your prints!
Ann

Anonymous said...

Bob is a great guy and a very fine artist. A bit cynical, to be sure, but your observation that Bob has a certain gentleness beneath his gruff facade is spot-on. Plus an awesome sense of humour. His adamant demand was always that his students at least TRY, which, when you think about it, is not so much to ask...