Saturday, August 12, 2006

Saturday Afternoon





Today is a blissfully typical Saturday. The weather here is cool, with the first hints of fall. There are butterflies all over my garden and the thistles down near the barn. I counted 15 small brown butterflies on one thistle plant, each sitting on it's own purple pincussion.
The big news around here is that Kelly is staying. I am so glad and thankful. I went to look at the small apartment that I mentioned in the last post, and it was ok. It was better than I had expected. It was small, and a little bit dark, but it had a cool bathtub and some shelves built into the walls, so it would have been ok. But I drove back to this house and as I pulled into the driveway, I decided that I was not leaving. I love this house. I love the deep windowsills and the white walls. I love the doorknobs that fall off and the hardwood floors, and I decided that I would do whatever it would take to stay. I studied my budget. I cut corners and eliminated my savings. I pondered who else I could invite to live here with me. But it was all blissfully un-needed. Kelly is going to stay.
So today we cleaned and scrubbed and swept. We threw the old food out of the refrigerator and laundered the curtains. I took the rug from my bedroom outside and shook and shook it watching the dust fly past the butterflies.
And now I am resting, and enjoying the feel of the breeze through the wide open window.

3 comments:

Barista Nate said...

The house looks wonderful! :o)!

Anonymous said...

Joanna,
Thank you for the pictures you paint with your words. Your post is another beautiful affirmation of the joy and peace the simple gifts we are all given can provide, if we but take the time to look for them.
Purple pincushions... I like that :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for living with people! It's so healthy. If the Puritans got one thing right, that was it.
Will you be joining everyone at the fair on Tuesday?