Thursday, August 03, 2006

Nothing Fancy

Today I am writing from my Mom's house. I am here after work to take out the dogs, Maggie and Mollie. Two long haired minature dachsunds, with a lot of energy and fuzzy burrs behind their ears. They are the most perfect mixture of beautiful, elegant canine femininity and downright dirty scoundrels. So after letting them jump all over me, and taking them out, and giving them supper, I laid down with a book and ended up taking a nap. Maggie did not forget that I was here though, and that she would rather be outside, so she cried out those pathetic intermitant barks from down the hallway, until I drug myself up and put them back out again. It is incredibly hot here right now. Humid and heavy, and I have used the air conditioner in my car as if the world will end without it.
So today I made a call from work about a new apartment. Kelly is going to be moving to South Carolina. It has been something that has been hanging over as a possibility for quite a while, but it is rather sudden that it is really happening. It has been a year and nineteen days since we moved to our farmhouse on Wood Road, and it has been such an identity shaping time. We have shared our milk, our electric bill, our friends and our faiths.
So now I must think about what is next too. Kelly will be starting fresh and brand-new, with all kinds of possibilties ready to roll and lounge at her feet. I envy this a little bit, but also find such a warm feeling in being in the place that I know. So this new apartment is in the same town. Perfectly situated between work and church and family, and with good friends close by. All I know about it is that it has one bedroom and that I can afford it, and with any luck, will involve no mowing of any lawn, no matter how large or small. There is something very intriguing to me as well about having a place of my own. It sounds so romantic and idyllic, much more than it really is I expect. I am sure that many times it is just lonely. But it would be my own, and a place where I could nourish myself, I hope. Both peaceful and strength building and me. Sort of like Maggie and Mollie, elegant and lovely without any effort, but certainly nothing fancy.
Speaking of the rescals themselves, I need to go make sure they are not running themselves to exaustion in this incredble, heavy heat.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Amy,
Thank you for reading!

We should get together for lunch. :-)